Crossing Language Borders
We draw the clinical practice from the growing research regarding the benefits of integrating native English speakers with English learning individuals, from the field of education. The clinical results benefit both English and Spanish speaking clients.
Translating the research from schools to clinical practice:
- A better sense of relatedness with others across cultures and national origins>
- Promotes critical thinking skills and the ability to understand complex patterns, essential in work around parenting, school related challenges, coupling and relationship issues, and domestic violence
- To have a greater capacity for listening and understanding
- To be part of a shared community where power and privilege are redefined based on interconnected healing and support
- To increase the equity and accessibility of social capital through an alternative clinical framework that does not perpetuate the marginalization of Spanish speaking clients
- Outcomes over the past 30 years reveal a high standard of health and mental health for families that remain in intermittent contact with therapeutic allies/sponsors and live their lives within embracing communities. The majority of our clients stays in contact through an email list serve even when they move out of state or across the globe.
- Consider this: Approximately 30% of IFS's clientele are families referred with problems of domestic violence, sexual abuse, and substance abuse. Even so, in over 30 years there have been no reports of victims in danger, or in fear for their lives while they are in this therapeutic space. Perpetrators at different learning paces respond to strategies of accountability while also embracing a centeredness for connections.
- During the entire life of the Institute, only six clients have been hospitalized and less than five percent are on psychotropic medications. While loss and trauma destroys many families, our families are embraced at their most vulnerable points, propelling them into powerful, life-activating choices.
- Other families and individuals who present with a range of issues, from job-related stress, to children with academic and/or peer difficulties, to teens in trouble, to couples with relationship and/or parenting issues, also utilize our services with successful outcomes.